Sunday, May 6, 2012

Strike's Area Bulldozed

My heart fell when I drove up to the park Friday morning and find that Strike's territory had been bulldozed:

Strike (with Gunther, I think, behind her) was standing on her formerly green spot when I drove up
Bugsy, Romper, and Gunther also use this area for sleeping, resting, eating, playing, and soaking up the sun.  I wonder if the people who give orders for things like this, and the people who do the actual bulldozing ever think to look for life in the greenery before they carry on and bulldoze it?  Do you think?  Whenever I see a bulldozer at work, I always think, "Mercy, I hope there are not kittens or birds nests in there."

It was really painful to see Strike standing on that bare ground.

Also, a giant shrub from the parking lot had been removed.  The cats used it all the time as cover when they came over from across the street, where there are some homes.  Strike often used it, and the shyer cats who I do not know, but do know we have been feeding, would wait there for me to leave to eat from the plates.

What will they use for cover now?
This is what I was afraid was going to happen.  I am all for commerce, particularly small business, but I don't see why people can't be more considerate of nature and their fellow creatures in the process of their building projects.  I think we all have to ask ourselves what the costs of our dreams are before we start to plow.  And then try to eliminate, or at the very least minimize, the cost of lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment