Friday, April 25, 2014

Heartbreak - Losing Sunshine in The No Generation




I believe in some blending of hope and sunshine sweetening the worst lots. I believe that this life is not all; neither the beginning nor the end. I believe while I tremble; I trust while I weep.


- Charlotte Bronte



Sunshine photo Sunshine_zps2d150513.jpg
Sunshine

I was asked to help this beautiful new-born kitten by a kind young man named Christopher who contacted me through Facebook.  He met a kind young lady named Victoria at the vet.  She found the kitten, an apparent orphan.  They both brought the kitten to me late Wednesday night.

I originally posted their photo on Facebook to ask for help, along with a plea.  Although there were a handful of shares, and close to 400 people saw the post, no one responded to help.  I agreed to take him.  I believe it would have been better if someone with more time and energy nursed him, for his sake.  But there was no one.

He came rather strong I thought.  He fought valiantly the first 18 hours, but then he seemed to weaken last night.  I fell asleep on the sofa.  I was exhausted.  I didn't wake to feed him again until this morning, and he was already fading away.  I blame myself.  I think if I had woken in the middle of the night he would have had a better chance. 

I feel sad when I ask for help and there is silence. I feel sad when I think of Jesus saying the harvest is great, but the workers are few.  He commanded us to therefore pray God sends more workers into the harvest.  I pray this. 

I have a name for this new silent generation.  I call them The No Generation. 

These two young people who brought me the new-born kitten were Good Samaritans, lovely young people who I pray will never change.  Yet, they put their trust in me and I failed them and I feel terrible. 

Sunshine passed away this morning despite all my protesting and prayers, despite all my efforts to keep him warm and to wake him from the sleep I saw him falling into, and despite all the animal rights and welfare activists hollering on Facebook.  He stopped taking the milk, his suckling grew weaker and weaker.  I am greatly saddened, I feel helpless, and yet I still have faith.  I said yes.  I still believe it would have been better for the kitten if someone else had said yes.  But there was no one willing. 

 photo IMG_9346_zps6fa1c26c.jpg
Victoria, the lovely young woman who saved Sunshine, bought formula for him.  She bought a lovely carrier for him that when I look at I want to cry.  She brought him wrapped in the softest blankets. 

I do not know if Sunshine was a he or a she. 

Godspeed, Sunshine.  Your memory is eternal with me.

I pray God sends more workers into the harvest. 

I pray for a Yes Generation.

Victoria, Christopher, I am so sorry. 

 photo IMG_9340_zpsa8ecbefb.jpg
Then the righteous will answer Him, saying, ‘Lord, when did we see You hungry and feed You, or thirsty and give You drink? ’When did we see You a stranger and take You in, or naked and clothe You? ’Or when did we see You sick, or in prison, and come to You?’ And the King will answer and say to them, ‘Assuredly, I say to you, inasmuch as you did it to one of the least of these My brethren, you did it to Me.’ - Matthew 25:35-40



2 comments:

  1. you have a beautiful soul and i so recognize and see myself in your words and in your deep sadness for losing a precious creature, and in the frustration of knowing there could be more people giving a hand.. but mostly don't, or are too busy taking pictures of a cat with a broken leg almost falling down a bridge instead of helping (one of the many babies i was lucky to bring to safety, right place at the right time.. but ok, this is another story).

    I stumbled on your blog just now cause i was looking for ideas on how to make a cat enclosure on my little balcony for my sweet baby, and that's how i found you.
    And i will be back and read some more.

    But meanwhile i just wanted to tell you 'I Hear You' and i'm sorry the little baby didn't make it....

    God Bless

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for visiting and leaving a comment, and your very kind words. Yes, it is frustrating, and angering, and still happens. I just tried to find a home for one of the street cats I care for, someone was even kind enough to make a FB page for that purpose, but when I asked people to share it, they just wouldn't. I don't understand. He was hit by a car shortly after my post and died.

      Just before that, a lady came to me and asked me to find a home for her two cats before she left the country or she said she would euthanize them. When I acquiesced to put her story on my FB page, well, everyone came out of the woodwork when they heard the word euthansia. They networked like crazy to find the cats a home and then disappeared again. I can't even say how upsetting it is, to see human nature, I can only say I have learned that it is something you will learn about doing charity work, one must not dwell on it, detach a bit, or one will go insane. I am learning to look at this now as a personal journey, rather than wanting anything from anyone, that way I do not get disappointed or have to see this in people, because it could lead one to despair, and that's not good.

      The nice young lady who brought me this kitten has never forgotten the cats she saw here here and has regularly visited me since, and brought wonderful gifts for the cats. She is extraordinary though. I have met a only a handful of extraordinary people and they really stand out and inspire me, there was another one recently who I need to write about. I would have to say they must be saints. They are yes people and they are amazing.

      You keep up the good work, my friend, and good luck with your balcony enclosure. I recently spoke with a girl who used a type of non rip bird netting for her enclosure. I haven't tried that but I see more and more people coming up with interesting ideas. I moved mine to my new location and put it ground floor over the front door ( I use the back door) and it has held up well for two years, only now just needing some repairs.

      Thank you again and thank you for your blessing. May God Bless you and you and your work as well, and all the cats you help . It is hard to be a leader, but when you realize there is no one in front of you to help you or advise you, you must realize that is what you are and that you are showing other people the way, and have great courage and constantly seek God's grace and humility to continue.

      Delete