Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Starlight's Babies

I took a picture of Starlight's babies for you this morning while Starlight was having a snack.  She had five kittens, but sadly we just lost one of them, the smallest.  All five came out looking just like mom, black and white, and are just as cute as they can be:

they look like mom

I haven't taken a lot of pictures because I have tried to give her her privacy.  But perhaps I gave her a little too much, because if I had intervened earlier, maybe we could have saved the fifth kitten's life.  I feel just terrible about that.  It is hard to know how much to do for a cat that is so independent and has been living on the streets for so long, but I think now you have to do what you would do for any other pet, even if they don't like it - you must risk their wrath and do what you must do in the best interests of saving all their lives.

This work is so full of painful lessons, and I feel utterly ill equipped and inadequate most of the time.  And I have had my heart broken about a million times. Sometimes it makes me want to run away from it all and bury my head in the sand, but now seeing all I have seen, I don't think I could ever forget their plight.  They are so complex, and like us, so wonderfully made.

No comments:

Post a Comment