Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Kitty Rigging for the Rain

It was Henry Wadsworth Longfellow who said, "Into each life some rain must fall."  At my age, I understand this, but how do I explain it to the new kittens?  And all the cats at the feeding stations?



Is the season's first storm coming?

There is thunder and lightening outside.  Will it be the first rain of the season in Cyprus?  The kittens living outdoors now have never seen rain or lightening, or heard the sounds of thunder before. 

Storm clouds in Cyprus, brewing over my village today

In case it rained, I ran about earlier rigging the front porch for the cats and kittens who won't come inside.  The signature of a girl is everywhere, as I rigged things together with strings and bows. 

My 'fight like a girl' attempt at keeping some of the rain off the front porch - a use what you've got approach


The front porch floods terribly when it rains, and when you mix the rain with the high winds off the sea, you get a real mess.  I did the best I could today with the short warning, but I am going to have to come up with something better. 

I moved everything I could off the veranda over to the less exposed side of the porch


 Gini checks out my make do kitty shelter

I guess he thinks it's pretty OK, but it is not raining yet
 

The houses in Cyprus aren't built with any thought for rain.  I am not sure most are built with any thought at all, except perhaps to protect investments in the poured concrete industry.  Still, I love this house.  It's the best one I have lived in here.

Meanwhile the kittens were highly alarmed and terrified at the strange new sight of lightening and the strange new sound of thunder. 

I shuddered to think of what was going on at the feeding stations.  The food would be soaked.  It would be a mess and I was praying all the kittens and cats out would find shelter. 

I found this broken plastic chair last year to keep the food in the grotto at the park dry over the winter, it's still there.
It works really well.  I need more like it for the other feeding stations.

It indeed poured, and nearly everything got soaked on the porch.  When I peered out calling for any last takers,  there was only one cat, Astro, taking refuge there, rain was flooding in under the front door, and Gini came wailing to the window to be let in.  Thank God most of the kittens have at least their first vaccinations.  This is when flu season starts. 

A soaked front porch after the rain and no cats



Pegs checks out the indoor flood.  Pegs has seen rain before.  She's lived it and has the T-shirt as she came from the park. 

About ten minutes after the rain let up, there were five soaked kitties at the porch door begging to come in: Twiddles, Krystallo, Bashful, Sweet Corn, and Bouncie.

Bashful, safe and cozy dry now

 Krystallo, drying off in my lap
 
Bouncie, having a good bath
Sweet Corn and Twiddles are already back outside. :)  Go figure. 

Sisters Boogie and Bouncie playing before the rain
Rudi atop the dog house watching his changing world. 

It's dark now, and I still have to go out to the feeding stations.  It's going to be a mess, and the cats will be desperate, but there is nothing I can do but cleanup, and start making better preparations for the next rain.

Thank God my sister sent me some rain pants. 
 
The best thing one can do when it's raining is to let it rain.
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment